Éclair with Lemon Cream and Meringue
Another variant of the choux dough is a recipe for éclairs. A clear lemon cream, caramelized meringue and garnished with lime zest. Make the baking process easier with your Starfrit Silicone Cooking Mat.
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 tea spoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Wheat flour
- 3 Eggs
- Lemon cream
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Lemon juice
- 2 Egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 Egg whites
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 Lime
Preheat your oven at 400°F
For the éclairs
- In a saucepan, bring to a boil the water, milk, sugar, salt, butter and the vanilla.
- Remove from the heat and add the flour and start to stir with a wood spoon.
- Place back on the stove and cook until the dough pulls away from the edges of the pan.
- Transfer to a stand mixer and add the eggs one by one.
- Fill a pastry bag with the dough and form the éclairs, 12 cm long on a baking tray lined with the Starfrit Silicone Cooking Mat.
For the lemon cream
- In a pot, place all the ingredients except for the butter in the order they appear in the recipe.
- Place on the stove top and cook while continuously stirring.
- Let it boil for at least 30 seconds.
- Pass the cream through a fine mesh sieve, whisk in the butter and set aside in the fridge covered with plastic wrap.
For the meringue
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the egg whites and sugar.
- Place the bowl over a steam bath and start to energetically whisk.
- Once the mixture starts to emulsify and the temperature is just about as hot as you can comfortably manage by touching it, transfer to the stand mixer.
- Continue to whisk until it has cooled down completely.
- With the help of a pastry pouch, garnish the eclair with the meringue.
For the plating
- Remove the top of the eclair, fill it with lemon cream, and then with a pastry bag, make some nice little balls of meringue on the top.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and then caramelize with a torch.
- Using the Starfrit Silicone Cooking Mat will prevent the dough from sticking during the baking.