Light Nut and Peanut Muffins
These light and crunchy muffins are sweet and salty with the added peanuts. A hit with people who have restrictions as they are gluten and lactose free.
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3/4 cup salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Ingredients to finish muffins
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 egg whites
- 4 egg whites
Preheat oven to 350oF
- In a hot skillet with the icing sugar, cook the peanuts so as to coat them with a thin layer of caramel.
- Transfer to a baking sheet to cool them down.
- Separate your egg yolks and whites, keep the yolks in the fridge and the whites at room temperature.
- Grease the cooking molds with soy butter and then sprinkle with white sugar. Gently shake them to remove excess sugar.
- Combine the nuts, icing sugar and peanuts. In a bowl, combine in this order: the soft soy butter, the dried fruits and the icing sugar.
- Add 2 egg whites and combine with a spatula.
- With your electric mixer, whip the egg whites (4) and the sugar until it is firm but does not form peaks.
- Incorporate the egg whites to the dried fruit mixture.
- Gently combine to reach a homogenous mixture.
- Fill the cooking molds to 2/3 their height and then transfer to the oven for 9-10 minutes.
- Wait at least 5 minutes after removing them from the oven before un-molding them.