- 1 Pizza Dough
- ½ cup Pizza Sauce
- 8 ounces fresh bocconcini mozzarella, sliced
- ½ cup sliced tomatoes
- 1 Pinch red pepper flakes
- Basil leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1½ teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 (¼-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- Spread the pizza sauce onto the dough.
- Top with the fresh mozzarella and tomatoes and bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the crust is browned.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil leaves and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
- In a small bowl, stir together the water, maple syrup, and the yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes, until the yeast is foamy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, place the flours and salt. Mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add the yeast mixture and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Mix on medium speed until the dough forms into a ball around the hook, 5 to 6 minutes. If the dough is too dry to form a ball, add water ½ tablespoon at a time until the mixture comes together. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a smooth ball.
- Brush a large bowl with the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil and place the dough inside.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise until the dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Stretch to fit the 12.5" Pizza Pan with Detachable Handle. Cover and let the stretched dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Bake according to the pizza recipe you are using, typically 10 to12 minutes in a 450° oven, or until the crust is browned.
- Place the tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, salt, and oregano in a food processor and blend until combined.
- Spread ½ heaping cup of the pizza sauce onto the dough at one time.
- Makes enough sauce for about 4 pizzas. Store any extra sauce in the fridge or freezer.