One Pot Flatbread Lasagna
Everyone knows the basic recipe for a lasagna: lasagna noodles, meat sauce and plenty of cheese. Try this One Pot flatbread lasagna recipe (yes, we use flatbread!) for a delicious, moist twist on the classic lasagna recipe.
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lb (454 g) ground beef
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) oregano, dried
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fennel seed, ground
- Salt, pepper
- 1 ricotta cheese mixture (SEE NOTE)
- 4 cups (1 L) tomato sauce
- 1 pack (9 oz / 250 g; 4 sheets per pack) Lavash Flatbread or 8 flour tortillas
- ½ ball (4 oz / 115 g) fresh mozzarella, sliced
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 325 °F (160 °C).
- In your The Rock One Pot Dish, at a medium heat setting, soften onion in olive oil.
- Add garlic, beef, oregano and fennel and cook until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 3 cups (750 ml) of tomato sauce; stir well. Place beef sauce into a bowl and reserve.
- Pour ¼ cup (65 ml) of tomato sauce into bottom of the Rectangular Dish.
- Build the lasagna: Lay one sheet of Lavash flatbread (or 2 tortillas). Spread half of beef sauce on top of the Lavash or tortillas. Place another layer of Lavash or tortillas on top of the beef sauce. Spread half of ricotta cheese mixture into an even layer on top of the Lavash or tortillas. Place another layer of Lavash or tortillas on top of cheese. Spread half of beef sauce on top of Lavash or tortillas. Place final sheet of Lavash or tortillas on top of beef sauce. Spread half of cheese mixture into an even layer on top of Lavash or tortillas.
- Push pieces of fresh mozzarella into cheese mixture as garnish and bake for about 30 minutes, covered, or until hot in the center.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Serve with extra tomato sauce.
RICOTTA CHEESE MIXTURE RECIPE:
- In a bowl, beat 3 eggs.
- Add 4 oz (115 g) grated mozzarella cheese, 2 oz (56 g) grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and 8 oz (230 g) ricotta cheese.
- Fold together until blended.