- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½onion chopped
- 2½cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1½cups long grain white rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans black or red beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (full fat)
- ½ tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 2/3 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 1 whole habanero pepper, prickled with a fork
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
On the Pressure Cooker, select the Sauté function. Add oil to pot. When oil is hot, sauté the onions. Cook and stir until onion is translucent for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes more, stirring every now and then. Press Cancel.
Mix in chicken broth, rice, beans, coconut milk, thyme, salt, allspice and habanero pepper. Secure the lid on the pot. Ensure the pressure-release valve is on the Sealing position.
On the Pressure Cooker panel, select Rice. When cooking is complete, depressurize manually by rotating the top nozzle to the Release position.
Remove and discard whole habanero pepper. Top each serving with chopped cilantro.