Smooth Chocolate Mousse with Chocolate Tiles
Nothing will get in your way with the Egg Beater by Starfrit. To get this recipe on point and perfectly done and to reach a creamy, fluffy and stiff texture, you need the proper instruments at hand. Our chefs over here are, of course, standing by Starfrit to get the job done, in this Valentine's Day recipe!
- 1/2 cup Dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup 35% cooking cream
- Egg whites of 6 large caliber eggs
- 1 tea spoon Sugar
- 1 Egg yolk
- 3/10 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Salted butter
- 3 tbsp Passion fruit
Dark chocolate tiles
- 3/4 cup Dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup 35% whipping cream
- 1 unit Vanilla bean
For the mousse
- Place the chocolate in a bowl, on a bain-marie on low heat. Bring the cream to a boil.
- Remove the melted chocolate from the heat and pour the cream on it and mix everything well.
- With the help of the Starfrit Egg Beater, whip the egg whites with the sugar until it gets thick, nice and smooth.
- Add the egg yolk in the chocolate and mix well.
- Combine the meringue and the chocolate in two batches, first time by whisking, second time by folding with a spatula.
- Put the mousse in the serving dishes and transfer everything into the fridge, for at least one hour.
For the chocolate
- The dark chocolate must be between 86°F-90°F. With an acetate sheet (or silicone mat), make the chocolate bands.
- When the chocolate is hard, break it into small pieces. Keep the chocolate in a dry and tempered room, with no humidity at all.
- For a more fancy presentation, use two different sized ring molds and make discs or rings of different sizes.
Salty caramel with passion fruit
- In a saucepan, cook the sugar dry, until you reach a golden brown coloration.
- Add the butter and mix well.
- Add the warm cream and the passion fruit juice, whisk while boiling for two minutes until it gets smooth.
- Scrape the seeds from the center of the vanilla bean. In a cold bowl, combine the vanilla seeds and cold cream.
- Whip until you reach a nice whipped cream consistency. Transfer to the fridge until ready to serve.
- In the serving dish with the chocolate mousse, place your chocolate tiles or rings shiny side up.
- With the help of a pastry bag, make nice little dots or dollops of whipped cream.
- At the table, pour the caramel on top directly in front of your guests.