Healthy Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
Looking for a healthy snack? Something to add to kids lunchboxes? A bar that will give you energy and is good for you? Try this recipe cooked in The Rock ovenware for easy release.
For the strawberry bars
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups small-diced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
For the vanilla glaze
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat to 375F degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger, and salt. Pour in the melted butter and stir until it forms clumps and the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Set aside 1/2 cup of the crumble mixture, then press the rest into an even layer in the bottom of The Rock Ceramic Ovenware Square 9’’x9’’ dish.
- Scatter half of the strawberries over the crust. Sprinkle the cornstarch evenly over the top, then sprinkle on the lemon juice and 1/2 tablespoon of the granulated sugar. Scatter on the remaining berries, then the remaining 1/2 tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs evenly over the top. You will have some fruit showing through.
- Bake the bars for 35 to 40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbly and the crumb topping smells toasty and looks golden. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely (you can speed this process along in the refrigerator).
- While the bars cool, prepare the glaze: In a medium bowl, briskly whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk until smooth. Feel free to add more milk if a thinner consistency is desired. Using the parchment-paper handles, lift the bars from the pan. Drizzle with glaze, slice, and serve.
- The recipe can be doubled and baked in The Rock Ceramic Ovenware 9.5x13-inch rectangular dish. The bars will be a bit thicker but will still be delicious.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To freeze, let the bars cool completely and do not glaze. Wrap tightly in plastic before placing in the freezer. Let thaw in the refrigerator and top with glaze before serving. (Bars can be frozen already glazed if needed.)