Pad Thai with Crispy Tofu and Shrimps
A classic recipe inspired from what's going on in Thailand. This dish is eaten by street vendors all around Bangkok. No need to rush with the Starfrit The Rock electric multi-pot. Feels like you're right back in these streets with wonderful flavors and perfumes, easily done! Impress your guests while staying right where you are.
- 1 lb Rice noodles
- 24 Peeled Medium shrimps, tail-on
- 1 Pack Tofu (14 oz)
- 3 cups Sprouted soybeans
- 1 cup Fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 cups Chicken stock
- 1 White onion
- 1 Juice from a lime
- 3 cloves Chopped garlic
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Nuoc Mam (Fish Sauce)
- 1/2 cup Peanut butter
- 1/2 cup Peanuts
- 5 Green onions
- 3 tbsp Fresh ginger
- 2 tsp Chili paste (Sriracha)
- 4 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- Chop the onions, cut the tofu in small cubes, chop the garlic, shred the ginger, juice the lime, slice the green onions, pick the leaves off the cilantro.
- Roast the peanuts for a few minutes in the oven then chop them.
- Cover the noodles with hot water, to soften them and set them aside.
Cooking the shrimps, the tofu and the eggs
- Drizzle a little bit of vegetable oil into the Starfrit electric multi-pot The Rock, then cook the shrimps for few minutes until they are lightly colored, add salt and pepper then set everything aside.
- In the same multi-pot, drizzle a little bit more oil and fry the tofu until lightly colored, then set aside on a sheet of paper towel to remove the excess oil.
- Lastly, fry the scrambled eggs, in the Rock by Starfrit again, then set everything aside in a bowl.
- In a sauce pot, mix the chicken stock, the hoisin sauce, the chili paste, the sugar and the fish sauce then boil for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Finally add the peanut butter and mix well.
Assembling the Pad Thai
- Using the hot electric multi-pot (or a hot wok), sweat the chopped onions in a little bit of oil, add the garlic and ginger and mix well, add the sauce, the noodles, the chopped peanuts, half of the sprouts and mix well.
- After a minute add the tofu, the eggs and the shrimps, mix well and cook for 2 minutes until all the components are heated up then add the rest of the sprouts, the lime juice, the cilantro and green onions.
- Serve in a warm bowl and garnish with few cilantro leaves and the rest of the chopped peanuts.
- You can replace the shrimps with sliced pork or beef to change the flavor completely.