Seafood Gratin with Saffroned Béchamel
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Baking time: 0 minute
- 1 cups Mussel broth
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 ½ tbsp Wheat flour
- 1 pinch(es) Saffron
- 8 Fresh shrimps
- 2 Shallots
- 4 sprigs Parsley
- 1/2 cup White wine
- 4 tbsp Japanese breadcrumbs (Panko)
- 4 Oyster(s)
- 1/2 Cooked lobster
- 1 unit Snow crab
- 1/3 Pound Fresh mussels
- 1/2 White onion
- 4 oz White wine
Preheat your oven on broil to 400°F
- Finely chop the shallots and the tarragon leaves.
- Mince the onion.
- Open up the oysters with the Oyster Set by Starfrit and reserve them in the fridge.
- Shell the cooked lobster with the Starfrit Seafood scissors, then cut it into medallions.
- If you're using crab, prepare in the same way.
- In a big stewpot, slowly cook the chopped shallots with a knob of butter, give or take 2mins or until translucent.
- Put the white wine in and then bring everything to a boil.
- Throw the mussels in, place a cover on top and let them cook 4-5 minutes at medium high heat.
- It is imperative that the mussels open during cooking.
- Throw away the ones that are still closed.
- Take the mussels out while making sure to keep the remaining juice.
- In a saucepan melt the butter, add the flour and cook everything for one minute on low heat, stirring constantly.
- Pour half of the mussel broth then mix with a whisk until the sauce thickens up.
- Add the remaining milk.
- Continue whisking to prevent lumps.
- Season, then add a pinch of saffron, and let everything steep until it cools down.
- Dry the shrimps on a clean and dry cloth in the fridge.
- In a hot pan with a drizzle of vegetable oil, sear the shrimps and then take them out when golden brown.
- Lastly in the same pan again, sweat the shallots slowly at medium heat, afterwise deglaze with the white wine, let it reduce and add the mussels.
- In individual oven-safe dishes, place the filling (2 shrimps, 2 mussels, 1 lobster medallion and the oyster/crab) and top with the bechamel sauce.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs/panko all over and bake at broil, until slightly browned.
- Serve hot with a mixed green salad dressed with your favorite dressing.
- It is very important that you use the proper pan to have the absolute perfect cooking for both the shrimps and the scallops.
- Both come from the sea and they need to be colored but not overcooked.
- There is nothing more boring than dry seafood.