Tomato Pizza, Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms, Mozzarella
Golden crust pizza with a classic touch! You'll find all the easy steps to make your own dough at home, not as complicated as it sounds! To top off your pizza, the Easy Grater by Starfrit will be your best ally and will allow you to grate your cheese simply and spread it evenly on your pizza.
- 1 cup Warm water
- 1 tsp Dry yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2½cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 Can of crushed plum tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1 tbsp Dried oregano
- 10 Basil leaves
- 3 cloves Chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 Onion
- 2 sprigs Thyme
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 pack White mushrooms
- 1 Onion
- 7 Basil leaves
- 3/4 cups Mozzarella cheese
- 5 sprigs Chives
Preheat your oven to 425°F
- Peel the onion and finely cut the garlic and the chives.
- Mince the mushrooms and grate the mozzarella with the Easy Grater by Starfrit.
- Add in the yeast to the room tempered water, inside a mixing bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients and slowly spin with a mixer.
- Make sure to keep some spare water, you will need it if the mix turns out too dry.
- Once the dough is smooth and homogeneous, speed up the mixer to medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Put the dough on a clean table and make a ball out of it, with your hands.
- Place it inside a bowl lightly covered with oil.
- Cover the bowl with a humid cloth and let the dough rest until it doubles in volume - 35 minutes give or take depending on the environment.
- Cut the dough according to the desired size of pizza and make balls. Let them rest again under a humid cloth on a cooking tray for 30 minutes.
- With a rolling pin or with your hands, flatten down the dough to make a nice circle.
- In a stewpot with vegetable oil, cook the onions, add the thyme, the bay leaves and the garlic.
- Stir everything together, add the tomatoes, mix and then add the oregano and the sugar.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and let simmer.
- Let it cook to have a maximum reduction.
- Stir from time to time for approximately 45mins.
- Taste it and if too acid, keep on cooking until you have a smooth and tasty sauce.
- Blend sauce with a hand mixer.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- On the dough generously add the cooled tomato sauce, then the onions and the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle the chives and the grated cheese all over.
- Put the pizza in the oven and make sure to have a nice coloration.
- It is crucial NOT to put the salt and yeast in with the water simultaneously while making the dough as the dough feeds on sugar and dies with the salt.
- Mix the water and yeast with salt and flour only at the very end!