- 2 lb Youkon Gold potatoes
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups 35% cooking cream
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Peel the potatoes and keep them under cold water.
- Cut the garlic in 2, keep one halve while finely cutting the other one.
- Same goes for the thyme.
- Generously scrub the garlic that's been cut in 2, all over the plate you'll be using for the gratin.
- Do the same, but this time with the butter.
- With a mandolin, cut all the potatoes into very thin slice, 1mm, and gather them all in a bowl.
- Season with salt & pepper and the chopped garlic.
- Add in the cream and the milk while gently mixing everything in the bowl, making sure to unstick every single slice that sticks to one another.
- Then layer by layer, add all the potato slices in the cooking plate and make sure the liquid is covering and over topping the potatoes, by at least half a cm.
- Put that all in the oven for 45-50mins.
- The trick is to be able to easily stick a knife in the middle of the gratin, for you to know if it's ready or not.
- Coloration is also key!