Blade Roast Casserole
Using The Rock Cast Iron saucepans to create this recipe facilitates the work - one casserole to brown meat on stovetop and the same to place in the oven to cook and roast for rich flavors.
- 1 Blade roast without bone, approximately 3 pounds
- 3 yellow Onions, cut in 8 pieces each
- 3 large Carrots, sliced
- 3 sliced Parsnips
- 2 Garlic cloves cut in half
- 1 small Rutabaga, cut in large cubes
- 1 Leak, sliced
- 12 cups of thick Broth (beef of vegetables)
- 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried Rosemary
- 8 small Potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven at 300°F.
- Rub salt on all sides of meat, add pepper on top.
- Place blade roast in a cast iron casserole, add garlic, onion, carrots and parsnip.
- Pour broth to get liquid at half the thickness of the roast.
- Place in oven on center grill for 3 hours, basting regularly with meat juices / broth.
- Place all remaining vegetables in large casserole, add salt and pepper to taste, add dried herbs and drizzle olive oil over vegetables. Mix together.
- Add broth to cover half of the vegetables and place in oven on bottom grill. Cook for 1 hour mixing vegetables regularly until they are almost done.
- Add cooked meat to vegetable mixture, add potatoes and continue cooking for another 30 minutes, mixing regularly.